Monday, January 09, 2006

Back On the Road Again

I've been having a little interlude in England refamiliarising myself with the way things work here. Its been a refreshing break from relentless travel and an enjoyable opportunity to catch up with family and friends, including seven of the gang who were with me in China. I got to play uncle quite a lot, have baths, and gorge myself on roast dinners, fish and chips, proper beer and most importantly, bacon, something that doesn't seem to exist at all in Asia as far as I can tell. I also finally got a chance to see all the thousands of slide photos I've taken over these many months, a process which was so laborious it prompted me to go out and buy a digital camera to use for the remainder of the trip.

On the other hand, I've been reminded what a fundamentally rude and unfriendly place England is compared to most of the countries I've visited. I've been ground down by the ever present grey wet murk that passes for a sky in this cold land and simply astonished at the sheer expense of doing virtually anything here. So the prospect of a little warmth and sunshine down Africa way grows more appealing by the minute. I've even been practicing my French in anticipation of getting into a bit of chat with the locals over the prospects of the Cameroonian team in the forthcoming African Nations Cup. I can hardly wait for the second half kick-off tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 2:24 pm , Blogger deef said...

Dear Joel,

can't believe you're just starting the second half of the trip! Travelling with you to the Himalaya seems *ages* ago... Of course, let that be clear, I wish you the best for what lies ahead of you. I'm inclined to think that this part of the world will even be better than what you already saw. Hope that you will be able to update the blog quite often, since I like your style of posting (maybe you had enough after your PhD-thesis, but you should - really - write a book) : the additional political and historical remarks make me long for some stories about that black pearl called 'Africa'.

All the best Joel, keep in touch!
Hug,
david

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home